Thursday, April 19, 2007

"Tomarrow"

Okay, so don't you hate it when you have been doing something wrong for a long time, only to suddenly find out that you have been doing it wrong all along and no one has bothered to tell you? Well, I am ashamed to admit this, but I have been spelling the word "tomorrow" wrong for years!!! For some reason I thought it was spelled "tomarrow". I really think it should be spelled that way because that's how it sounds. Dang this English language sometimes!
My aunt had a similar experience with the phrase "chest of drawers". She thought it was "chester drawers" her whole life and then, to her mortification, her husband finally came out and told her it's "chest of drawers". Talk about feeling stupid.
I have learned to appreciate those people who are genuinely honest. Not critical, mind you, but honest. They have your best interest in mind and they don't want you to walk around looking stupid, so they tell you straight out. "Hey, you have some black stuff smeared all across your face". Instead of you going home and feeling completely embarrassed because you have been walking around all day with some horrid black smudge streaked all across your face.
The thing that makes me feel most ridiculous is that I have been spelling tomorrow wrong in all of my text messages. Well, I like to use the automatic words (or whatever they are officially called) because I think it's faster to write text messages and I have always thought it was so dumb that "tomarrow" was never in my phone dictionary. "Of all of the words that are in here, why would the word tomarrow be left out?" Okay at this point you would think I'd get the hint that I was spelling it wrong, but it never really did.
My question is: Why didn't anyone tell me? Of all of the people I text messaged using the word "tomarrow", why didn't anyone ever tell me? Or was everyone sitting comfortably in their own little worlds, laughing at my ignorance?

A special thanks to Cassidy for her excellent spell checking skills.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

We would never laugh at you, just with you! By the way, you have a booger hanging out of your nose. Love ya!

Cassidy said...

Ok, if you want honesty, here goes:
-embarassed is acutally spelled embarrassed.
-rediculous is spelled ridiculous.
-cumfortably is spelled comfortably.
-ashaimed is spelled ashamed.
Love you!

Myra Bybee said...

Amy I will tell you the truth, but usually I can tell when it bugs you! So it is kinda a catch 22!
But I definately think you should use spell check on future blogs, so Cassidy doesn't keep correcting your spelling!