Wednesday, May 2, 2007

On Top of the World


I have traveled to a lot of different places in the world and every time I come home, someone asks, "Where is the most beautiful place you have been?" I have to hesitate. Each destination has it's highlights whether it's the Coliseum in Rome, the beach in Chinque Terre, or the flashy lights of Vegas. It all comes down to one point in the end, however, there's is no place like home.
I am a mountain girl through and through. I love the mountains and having grown up in Provo, they are kind of a symbol of home to me. There is something secure about them, almost like a blockade, they are protection. They symbolize both power and serenity. Power because of their magnificence, and serenity because of the feeling you get when you have just reached the top. It's liberating to stand there and look down on the world, and realize that your problems really aren't as big as you make them out to be. You can conquer them, just like you conquered that mountain, one step at a time. It is, in fact, a spiritual experience.
Now I know you're thinking, "This is an interesting entry. Next I'll bet she is going to quote some cheesy poem, start singing some sentimental ballad or, heaven forbid, cry! Well reader, put your mind at ease because I am not going to quote a poem (although Emily Dickinson would be appropriate), or sing a sentimental ballad (although Dashboard Confessional has come out with an excellent new CD) and, no, you will not have the privilege, or satisfaction (which ever you would like) of seeing me cry (especially because, even if I were to cry, you wouldn't see it now would you?).
So last weekend my room mate, Erika, and I, met some friends in Zion National Park. We decided that we wanted a challenge and so we headed up one of the most awe inspiring peaks in Zion called Angel's Landing. Now if you haven't hiked this one yet, I would highly recommend it but if you are afraid of heights, you'd probably be better off going up The Narrows.
At one point of the hike, you are scaling a narrow ledge that connects two parts of the mountain. The ledge is about 5 feet across and on either side there is about a 1500 ft drop off. My advice: "just concentrate on your next move and don't look down!"
So there I was in the thrill of the hike, stuck behind this lady who was shaking so bad I spent my time worrying she'd lose her balance and fall off the edge. Despite that minor detail, she had to be at least 50 years old AND she was wearing a skirt, but not just any old lady skirt, it was a mini skirt! Who does that? Talk about varicose veins, I never want to be 50! I do have to hand it to her for her brave ambition however, especially because I believe the risk factor increases with age, due to lack of balance of coarse.
Anyway, the top was so triumphant! You look over an amazing display of green and red under an untainted sky of blue and it just takes your breath away! All the sweat and anxiety of getting there is worth while when you reach the top of the world, and hey, if Grandma can do it, so can you!

2 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

Wow! That looks like a beautiful place! Too bad that whole ledge thing would scare me to death! And I love that you called the 50 year old a Grandma!ha ha ha.

Shauna said...

What a gorgeous picture. I will definitely have to include that on my list of beautiful places to visit. Next up, Mount Everest, eh?\\